M.N. Daragan, ENIGMATIC STONE SPHEROIDS FROM SCYTHIAN BURIAL AT KRASNYI PODOL OF UKRAINE: PETROGRAPHIC CHARACTERISTIC, PLACE OF MINING AND PROCESSING METHODS
ENIGMATIC STONE SPHEROIDS FROM SCYTHIAN BURIAL AT KRASNYI PODOL OF UKRAINE: PETROGRAPHIC CHARACTERISTIC, PLACE OF MINING AND PROCESSING METHODS
M.N. Daragan, PhD (Archaeology), Research Fellow
Institute of Archaeology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
12, Heroiv Stalingradu Ave., Kyiv, Ukraine, 04210
E-mail: email@example.com; orcid: 0000-0003-1019-9407
O.V. Mytrokhyn, DrSc (Geology), Professor
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Institute of Geology
90, Vasylkivska Str., Kyiv, 03022 Ukraine
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; orcid: 0000-0001-6269-0092
Mineralogical journal 2021, 43 (3): 104-112
Abstract: The results of a petrographic investigation of 80 stone spheroids from a Scythian burial near the village of Krasnyi Podol are presented. The results indicate that all the stone spheroids were made from the same type of metamorphic rocks, namely actinolitites. The petrographic characteristics of the actinolitites indicate that the initial raw material was obtained from a single deposit. The Middle-Dnieper Region of the Ukrainian Precambrian Shield is considered as the probable place for their mining. The authors do not exclude that the natural outcrops of actinolitites could initially have had spherical jointing due to the processes of physical weathering. This jointing provided an opportunity to obtain roughly spherical blanks directly at the mining site. But most of the studied stone spheroids have got their spherical shape by artificial firing. The latter manifests itself in the surface desquamation and oxidation of the outer parts of the stone blanks. At least some of the stone blanks were ground to varying degrees after the firing. Stone abrasive materials were used for this purpose. The listed facts allow us to postulate that stone spheroids found in the Krasnyi Podol burial illustrate the successive stages of their processing. The owner of the stone spheroids likely possessed special knowledge regarding their mining, production and use.
Keywords: archaeological petrography, actinolitite, stone artefacts, Scythian.
- Bidzilya, V.I. and Polin, S.V. (2012), Skifskiy tsarskiy kurgan Gaymanova Mogila. (Ser. Kurgany Ukrainy, Vol. 2), Publ. house "Skif", Kyiv, 752 p. [in Russian].
- Bunyatyan, Ye.P. (1985), Metodika sotsial'nykh rekonstruktsiy v arkheologii. Na materiale skifskikh mogil'nikov IV-III vv. do n. e., Nauk. dumka, Kyiv, 233 p. [in Russian].
- Gavrilyuk, N.A. (1989), Domashneye proizvodstvo i byt stepnykh skifov, Nauk. dumka, Kyiv, 122 p. [in Russian].
- Gavrilyuk, N.A. (2013), Ekonomika stepnoy Skifii VI-III vv. do n. e., KNT publ., Kyiv, 712 p. [in Russian].
- Grakov, B.N. (1962), Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii SSSR, Iss. 115, Publ. house USSR Acad. Sci., Moscow, RU, pp. 56-114 [in Russian].
- Daragan, M.N. and Polin, S.V. (2017), Arkheologiya i geoinformatika. Tret'ya Mezhdunar. konf., Tezisy dokl., Moskva, IA RAN, pp. 17-19 [in Russian].
- Dedyul'kin, A.V. (2015), Materialy Mezhdunar. nauchnoy konf., posvyashchonnoy pamyati A.I. Melyukovoy, Kagal'nik, 26-29 aprelya 2014 g., Izd-vo YUNTS RAN, Rostov-na-Donu, RU, pp. 48-51 [in Russian].
- Kempe, D.C.R. and Horvey, A.P. (eds) (1983), The petrology of archaeological artefacts, Oxford Univ. Press, New York, 374 p. https://doi.org/10.1002/gea.3340040408
- Kovpanenko, G.T., Bessonova, S.S., and Skoryj, S.A. (1989), Pamyatniki skifskoy epokhi Dneprovskogo Lesostepnogo Pravoberezh'ya, Nauk. dumka, Kyiv, 336 p. [in Russian].
- Kulik, N.A. and Postnov, A.V. (eds). (2009), Geology, petrography and mineralogy in archaeological researches, Ucheb.-metod. posobie, SO RAN press, Novosibirsk, RU, 102 p. [in Russian].
- Melyukova, A.I. (1964), Vooruzheniye skifov, (Arkheologiya SSSR. Svod arkheologicheskikh istochnikov, Vyp. D1-4), Nauka, Moskva, RU, 113 p. [in Russian].
- Ostroverkhov, A.C. and Smyrnov, O.I. (2012), Sci. Bull. Mykolayiv Nat. Univ. V.O. Sukhomlinsky. Ser. Historical Sci., Iss. 3(33), Mykolayiv, UA, pp. 38-53 [in Ukrainian].
- Petrun', V.F. (1967), Notes Odessa Archaeological Soc., Vol. 2 (35), Odessa, UA, pp. 3-11 [in Russian].
- Petrun', V.F. (2008), Short reports Odessa Archaeological Soc., Favorit publ., Odessa, UA, pp. 147-152 [in Russian].
- Polin, S.V. (1984), Vooruzheniye skifov i sarmatov, Nauk. dumka, Kyiv, pp. 103-119 [in Russian].
- Polin, S.V. (2014), Skifskiy Zolotobalkovskiy kurgannyy mogil'nik V-IV vv. do n. e. na Khersonshchine, (Ser. Kurgany Ukrainy, Vol. 3), Vydavetsʹ Oleh Filyuk, Kyiv, UA, 776 p. [in Russian].
- Shackley, M.S. (2008), Archaeometry, Vol. 50, Iss. 2, pp. 194-215. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4754.2008.00390.x