D.M. Prylepa, V.D. Evtekhov. Influence of Marshallitization on Some Physical Properties of the Kryvyi Rih Basin Hematite Quartzites
UDC 549 : 553.31 : 622.7 (477.63)
D.M. Prylepa, V.D. Evtekhov
State institution of higher education. "Kryvyi Rih National University"
11, Vitalyi Matusevich Str., Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, 50002
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
INFLUENCE OF MARSHALLITIZATION ON SOME PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF THE KRYVYI RIH BASIN HEMATITE QUARTZITES
Mineralogical journal 2018, 40 (1): 79-87
Abstract: Hematite quartzites are a product of weathering of primary metamorphic magnetite quartzites, which compose the ferriferous horizons of productive Saksagan suite of the Kryvyi Rih basin. The main tendency of magnetite quartzites hypergenic changes was a decrease in their mineralogical diversity: the transition from primary polymineral associations to bimineral (hematite + quartz) or trimineral (hematite + quartz + kaolinite) associations of hematite quartzites. At present, hematite quartzites are studied as promising raw material for the production of high-quality iron concentrate. One of the research areas is the determination of the heterogeneity of the hematite quartzite deposits, including those associated with the presence of hematite marshallites. In the deposits of hematite quartzites of the Southern iron ore district of Kryvbas (Skelyuvatske and Valyavkynske deposits), which were most thoroughly studied by the authors of this article, the amount of hematite marshallites reaches 20 % of the total mass of hematite deposits. The material of 320 samples of hematite quartzites, including unmodified and weakly, moderately, intensively marshallitized, as well as hematite-quartz "powder", which is the final product of hematite quartzites marshallitization, was studied. According the results of chemical and mineralogical studies, the definition of the physical and technical characteristics of the material of the samples studied, the main trends in the variation of the density and strength parameters of hematite quartzites in connection with marshallitization were determined. With the increase in the intensity of marshallitization in connection with the removal of iron, the density of hematite quartzites gradually decreases, from 4060.69 kg/m3 for unchanged varieties through 4044.54 and 4013.42 kg/m3 for weakly and moderately altered to 3994.30 and 3979.26 kg/m3 for intensively and very intensively marshallitized ones. With the change in the structure of hematite quartzites a significant increase in their porosity occurs — from 4.40 % for unchanged hematite quartzites to 22.18 % for hematite-quartz "powder". The indicators of the bulk mass of hematite quartzites with increasing marshallitization activity decrease much more intensively in comparison with the density values. The reason is that the volumetric mass index is affected not only by a general decrease in the iron content in hematite quartzites, but also (to a greater extent) by an increase in its porosity. An increasing of the porosity causes a decreasing of strength of hematite quartzites — from 13.86 points after M.M. Protodyakonov for unchanged varieties to 2.51 points of hematite-quartz "powder". The obtained data can be used for mineralogical, petrochemical studies of marshallites, for solving practical problems of calculating hematite raw material reserves, determining its qualitative indices and developing optimal technologies for the extraction of low-grade hematite ores, their blending before their feeding to concentrating mills and developing a flow sheet for the production of high-quality hematite concentrate.
Keywords: banded iron formation, Kryvyi Rih basin, crust of weathering, marshalitization, density indices, porosity indices, strength indicators.
- Baron, L.I., Konyashin, Yu.G. and Kurbatov, V.M. (1963), Crushing of rocks, Publ. house of SSSR Acad. of Sci., Moscow, RU, 168 p.
- Belevtsev, R.Ya., Belevtsev, Ya.N., Borisenko, V.G., Drozdovskaya, A.A., Yepatko, Yu.M., Zankevich, B.A., Kalinichenko, O.A., Koval, V.B., Korzhnev, M.N., Kravchenko, V.M., Kulik, D.A., Kusheyev, V.V., Lazurenko, V.I., Litvinskaya, M.A., Nikolayenko, V.I., Pikovskiy, Ye.Sh., Pirogov, B.I., Prozhogin, L.G., Savchenko, L.T., Samsonov, V.A., Skvortsov, V.V., Stebnovskaya, Yu.M., Tereshchenko. S.I., Chaykin, S.I., Yaroshchuk, M.A. (1991), Precambrian banded iron formationsof the European part of the USSR. Iron ores genesis, Nauk. dumka, Kyiv, UA, 216 p.
- Belevtsev, Ya.N., Tokhtuyev, G.V., Strygin, A.I., Melnik, Yu.P., Kalyaev, G.I., Fomenko, V.Yu., Zagоruyko, L.G., Molyavko, G.I., Polovko, N.I., Dovgan, M.N., Ladieva, V.D., Zhukov, G.V., Epatko, Yu.M. and Shcherbakov, B.D. (1962), Geology of Kryvyi Rih iron ore deposits, Publ. House of UkrSSR Acad. of Sci., Kyiv, UA, Vol. 1, 484 p., Vol. 2, 567 p.
- Dodatko, A.D. (1979), Reports of UkrSSR Acad. of Sci., Ser. B, No. 2, Kyiv, UA, pp. 83-87.
- Evtekhov, V.D. (1997), Vidomosti Akademiyi Hirnychykh Nauk Ukrayiny, No. 4, UA, pp. 111-114.
- Evtekhova, A.V., Smirnov, O.Ya. and Prylepa, D.M. (2012), Proc. of Intern. sci.-techn. conf., Kryvyi Rih, 22-25 May 2012, Kryvyi Rih National Univ. press, UA, pp. 66-71.
- Lazarenko, E.K., Hershoyh, Yu.G., Buchynskaya, N.I., Belevtsev, R.Ya., Voznyak, D.K., Galaburda, Yu.A., Galiy, S.A., Kvasnytsya, V.M., Kulchytska, G.O., Melnik, Yu.P., Melnikov, V.S., Pavlyshyn, V.I., Pirogov, B.I. and Turkevich, G.I. (1977), Mineralogy of Krivoy Rog basin, Nauk. dumka, Kyiv, UA, 544 p.
- Prylepa, D.M. (2017), Materials of the Intern. sci. and techn. conf., Kryvyi Rih, May 24-26, 2017, Kryvyi Rih National Univ. press, UA, pp. 85-87.
- Prylepa, D.N., Evtekhov, V.D. and Evtekhova, A.V. (2016), Geology and Mіneralogy Bulletin of Kryvyi Rih Natіonal Unіv., No. 1 (35), Kryvyi Rih, UA, pp. 15-26.
- Prylepa, D.M., Smirnov, O.Ya. and Evtekhov, V.D. (2014), Proc. of IX Intern. sci. and pract. conf.,Kryvyi Rih, 27-29 Novem. 2014, Kryvyi Rih Natіonal Unіv. press, UA, pp. 70-72.
- Prylepa, D.N., Smirnov, O.Ya., Evtekhov, V.D. and Bilenko, A.E. (2015), Proc. of XI All-Ukrainian sci. and pract. conf., Kryvyi Rih, 26-28 March 2015, Kryvyi Rih Natіonal Unіv. press, UA, pp. 151-154.
- Smirnov, O.Ya., Evtekhov, V.D. and Evtekhov, E.V. (2012), Bulletin of Dnipropetrovsk National Univ., Geology, geography series, No. 14, Dnipropetrovsk, UA, pp. 22-27.
- Tokhtuev, G.V., Borisenko, V.G. and Titlyanov, A.A. (1962), Physical and mechanical properties of Krivbass rocks, Gostehizdat, Kyiv, UA, 102 p.