O.V. Pavliuk. HEAVY MINERALS IN SEDIMENTARY FORMATIONS OF DIFFERENT AGES OF THE SOUTHWEST PART OF THE UKRAINIAN SHIELD AND ITS SLOPES
HEAVY MINERALS IN SEDIMENTARY FORMATIONS OF DIFFERENT AGES OF THE SOUTHWEST PART OF THE UKRAINIAN SHIELD AND ITS SLOPES
O.V. Pavliuk 1, ResearcherID: K-2799-2018
V.M. Pavliuk 2 https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7035-8505
1 M.P. Semenenko Institute of Geochemistry, Mineralogy and Ore Formation of the NAS of Ukraine
34, Acad. Palladin Ave., Kyiv, Ukraine, 03142
2 State Enterprise Ukrainian Geological Company Pravoberezhna geological expedition
1A, Yaroslava Mudrogo Str., Fursy, Kyiv region, Ukraine, 09150
Mineralogical journal 2019, 41 (4): 13-21
Due to the significant decline in geological exploration during last decade in Ukraine, geologists face the problem of preservation of numerous data on regional mineralogy that have been accumulated during the last years of the active work of geological expeditions and are documented mainly in handwritten form. That is why we have created a mineralogical digital database, which includes the information summarized from mineralogical cards and geologic reports, stored in collections and archives of the Pravoberezhna geological expedition. Altogether 15100 mineralogical analyses of samples collected from the southwest part of the Ukrainian Shield were treated. The sedimentary rocks of this area are quite diverse and significantly different. A huge role in their formation was played by the Berdychiv elevation. It extends as gentle ridge to the southwest and divides the area into two equal parts with strictly different sedimentation history. The database includes the information about the content of the main minerals, the type of rocks, stratigraphic age, as well as the information on sampled horizon and the geographic coordinates of the sampling points. The calculations, executed on this database, allowed us to reveal certain regularities of the allocation and distribution of heavy minerals in sedimentary formations of different ages of the southwest part of the Ukrainian shield. In particular, the data indicate considerable variations in the content of heavy minerals and their ratios in the sedimentary formations of the area. Such variations are caused by a number of factors, among which the stability of minerals, relationship with the underlying original rocks and age played the main role. The systematized data will allow to more detailed calculation in order to obtain new results to be used for more precise reconstruction of the sedimentary processes that occurred on certain territories.
Keywords: average content, heavy minerals, sedimentary rocks, Ukrainian Shield, primary mineralogical database.
- Berher, M.G. (1986), Terigennaya mineralogiya, Nedra, Moscow, RU, 227 p. [in Russian].
- Hozhyk, P.F. and Granova, A.K. (1984), Doklady AN USSR, No. 1, Kyiv, UA, pp. 9-11 [in Russian].
- Kashkarov, I.F. and Polkanov, Yu.A. (1976), Litologiya i poleznye iskopaemye, No. 2, Kyiv, UA, pp. 84-89 [in Russian].
- Lemishko, R.A., Zatkhey, R.A. and Bobrievich, A.P. (1986), Mineral. sb. Lvov. un-ta, No. 40, Vyp. 1, Lvov, UA, pp. 46-54 [in Russian].
- Melnik, A.P. (1979), Geol. zhurn., Vol. 39, No. 5, Kyiv, UA, pp. 76-82 [in Russian].
- Pavlyshyn, V.I. (2011), Materialy mineral. sem., IG Komi NTs UrO RAN, 17-20 maia 2011, Heoprint, Syktyvkar, RU, pp. 119-120 [in Russian].
- Tkach, I.V. (1989), Doklady AN USSR, No. 1, Kyiv, UA, pp. 25-28 [in Russian].
- Hlebovski, R., Lіndner, L. and Hozhyk, P.F. (2001), Geol. zhurn., No. 4, Kyiv, UA, pp. 15-18 [in Ukrainian].
- Shnyukov, E.F., Ogorodnikov, V.I., Inozemtsev, Yu.I. and Frantseva, I.A. (1981), Doklady AN USSR, No. 1, Kyiv, UA, pp. 42-45 [in Russian].
- Yushkin, N.P. (2011), Materialy mineral. sem., IG Komi NTs UrO RAN, 17-20 maia 2011, Heoprint, Syktyvkar, RU, pp. 7-9 [in Russian].